Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 289

Despite the lateness of my falling asleep, I still somehow woke up at 0645 and started teleworking.  Due to the rareness of the restless sleep (despite the quiet hotel), I'm starting to wonder if the temperature control panel (and strange instances of hot air coming out of the wall unit) might be to blame.  At 0745, I went to breakfast in the lobby of the Garner Hotel (Londonderry) - it was amazing to see how great the spread was!  Afterwards, I went to the Fitness Center and logged 20 minutes (4 miles) on the stationary bike (spinning machine).  By 0845, I was back online for more telework.  Strangely, though, all meetings suddenly got canceled.  Meanwhile, outside, it was a very sunny day (temps were at 82 F).  I ate "lunch" (snacks) in my room and continued working (on small projects) until 1600.  After that, I worked on my travel blog and did some planning for next few days in hotel.  Trying to assemble points for the most number of nights, I got very creative and was ultimately successful in generating enough for four rewards!  At 1730, I decided to leave my hotel and try to find some outdoor activities.  By then, it was 85 F (one of the hottest days I've had this summer) so I decided to start small with a visit to the Robert Frost Farm Historic Site in Derry.  When I arrived, the visitor center had already closed but there were walking trails, pretty views and historical signs.  In one area, I passed through a huge swarm of dragonflies - interesting!  Once I'd had my fill of the history, I made my way to the Depot Trailhead (corner of Frost Road and Windham Depot Road) for the Windham Rail Trail - I arrived there at 1800.  Nearby, there was a lot of old railroad stuff but I didn't tarry long.  Instead, I walked west to the Derry Town Line, where I'd been a few days ago (southern terminus of the Derry Rail Trail).  After turning around, I made my way east towards the place where I'd turned around in 2021.  Sadly, I hadn't researched my own notes in this regard so I just walked until I saw the 1.0 mile marker - I figured I had a lot longer to walk on the Windham Rail Trail and there was no need to overdo it today (famous last words...).  Along the way, I passed a farm field full of cows and had to dodge lots of bikers and fast walkers.  By the time I reached my car again, I figured out that I'd walked about two miles on foot.  Only later did I figure out that I could have finished the entire trail if I'd simply walked to the 2.0 mile marker - dang...  Oh well - on to the next adventure!  After driving a few miles north from the rail trail, I arrived at the closest paddling venue I could find: yes, it was Beaver Lake again.  I hurried through the launching process because I had less time than I thought I needed.  Along the way, I saw a young man getting his jetski ready for launch.  Trying to be helpful, I pointed out the sign that prohibited them in the body of water.  He ignored me and I went on with my planned kayak session.  By 1905, I was paddling (clockwise) around the lake again.  There were some special treats today, in the birding department, and I ended up seeing one of the resident eagles.  Some of the friendly residents who were working in their yards or tidying up their boats, told me proudly about a new eaglet that had been born recently.  They also explained how much they liked living in Derry and on Beaver Lake.  I had to agree that the neighborhood was wonderful!  I kept paddling, even though there was a lot more boating activity (and, subsequently, wakes).  On this topic, the jetski rider (with his girlfriend sitting behind him) seemed to get the brunt of an angry man who used all sorts of strong language to register his displeasure at their presence.  I should note, though, that I saw several similar watercraft docked in various places around the lake...  As the sun set in the distance (clear sky tonight), I managed to make it back to the boat launch.  At around that time, I ended up talking to a few young kids who (like many I've seen in the Manchester area) waved to me as I passed.  I was done paddling at 1905 and quickly packed up my kayak after dodging a motor b oat that had just been towed out of the water.  To get back to my hotel, I used the same route as previous night.  I was in my room by 2020 and spent the evening working on Duolingo exercises, completing lecture related to a second Hillsdale College course I've started during the Nomad Life and watching YouTube videos.  I ultimately went to bed at 2345 but was not feeling good about the upcoming evening (restless again).  Hopefully, the fatigue of another very active day will help me sleep!