Thursday, June 4, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 228

Another day in Delaware!  This morning, I was awake at 0530 at Joe & Trinka's in Frankford (near Bethany Beach) and started teleworking immediately.  At 0800, I went downstairs to see my friends and Joe made me some breakfast (eggs, bacon, sweet rolls); I visited with him while I ate.  By 0845, I had returned to the guest room (upstairs) to resume my telework day.  I took another break at about 1200 to eat lunch with everyone (Joe, Trinka, Owen and Ryan and thought I'd have some free time for a few hours.  Instead, I then (1300) I got a work "emergency" so returned to teleworking again for another hour.  Finally, at 1400, I was able to go with Joe to do some exploring.  We first visited Assawoman State Wildlife Area.  Joe had been talking about a big observation tower (apparently, it was a hit for visitors) but we arrived to find it completely gone since the Fall season (did if fall?).  Instead, we drove to the boat launch and got some nice views of Ocean City (across Assawoman Bay).  On the way out of the area, we made a detour through Camp Barnes (a State Police kids camp) and checked out nearby neighborhoods.  Most were built in the last decade - Joe said it was amazing how many times his neighborhood builder had claimed to be "finished"...  The temps were very warm (low 80s) but, as usual, I enjoyed the sunshine.  We next stopped in the busy seaside town of Bethany Beach - I've only heard about it from Delaware folks over the years but had never visited.  We parked (metered) and then headed on the boardwalk.  Unlike its larger neighbors, Bethany Beach doesn't have a very long area of "decking".  Still, I thought it was just like Ocean City, NJ - quaint, family-oriented, quieter.  Joe did point out that the female lifeguards were wearing what might be considered (especially by this "Mayberry" town) to be very risqué.  We had time to explore the beach and then found the old Canal, which apparently used to be the "end of the line" for visitors from Wilmington.  Historical markers in the area remarked on how a small loop (or cul de sac) needed to be constructed for the "one direction" ferry from the north.  After we'd walked for a while, we returned to Joe's house (1530) and I resumed my telework until 1645.  Once my car was (re)packed, I said goodbye to my friends and drove to visit another former work colleague (from my first post-Navy job), Eric T and his wife, Sari, in Ocean View.  I got there just after 1700 and we spent some quality time visiting on their enclosed back porch - so pretty!  Eric shared some (new to me) beer and I enjoyed relaxing in the shady, early evening air.  At 1745, we departed for the town of Selbyville (to the southwest) so we could have dinner at a "hole in the wall" gem: La Sierra Taqueria (AKA Taqueria Tres Hermanos).  It was located in the back of a busy Latin American Market and the food choices were excellent.  We ordered at 1800 and then enjoyed a meal of tacos, empanadas, rice and salad (Sari got a huge burrito).  My friends asked lots of questions about the Nomad Life and I got caught up on the "where is everyone now?" from our company days.  At about 1900 we finished our meal and returned to Eric & Sari's home.  Hoping to get closer to my daily step goal (which has been hard for the last week, due to my cold), I went for walk in the (Bishop's Lane) neighborhood with Eric, who showed off the nice amenities.  Along the way, I did some birding and explored a nature trail in the southern end of the complex.  It was clear that Eric and Sari are very content in their wonderful home.  By 2000, we were back at their house (after about 2 miles of walking) and Eric shared some more of his stash of interesting drinks (ginger beer and a Guinness "Blonde").  On his enclosed porch, we then started watching episodes of "The Middle" and "Star Trek: TOS" after Sari went to bed.  I made it to about 2130 before I excused myself for the evening.  In their guest room, I set up my computers in anticipation of another telework day and then closed out the night with some reading and Duolingo.  Somehow, I still didn't go to bed until 2245.  What a great day in the First State!