Wednesday, June 24, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 248

When I woke up at 0605 (at the Best Western Plus in Hampton), I started teleworking immediately.  At 0700, I took at break to go swimming (30 minutes, 0.5 miles) in the hotel pool.  Best part of this decision: no one else came into the pool area.  After returning to my room to change, I rode the stationary bike (for 20 minutes, 4 miles) in the Fitness Center.  By 0755, I was back online for more telework.  Between projects, I took another break for breakfast in the hotel (0820).  Through 1100, though, I stayed in my hotel room and attended work meetings.  During a pause, I checked out of my hotel and resumed teleworking (more meetings) in my car in the hotel parking lot.  Ultimately, I stayed online until 1155.  Outside, it was sunny and temps were in the mid 70s.  At 1200, I went to eat lunch (nearby) at The Airfield Cafe.  The place was pretty crowded but I found a seat at the bar and, after some confusion among the wait staff, ordered a half sandwich and some delicious chili.  Speaking of the staff, there sure were a LOT of them and they each wore very colorful shirts (I think they might have indicated experience level).  Outside the cafe, I witnessed some precarious behavior by General Aviation (yikes).  With my meal completed, I resumed teleworking from my car (1235).  While one of my meetings was going on (I was mostly in "listen mode"), I drove a short distance to get (very low priced for what I've seen lately) gas the Irving in North Hampton (1315).  I then tried to remain on the call in their parking lot but kept losing cell signal.  I've noticed that my provider has not been very reliable along the Seacoast...  I kept having to log into my MS Teams app, over and over, until I finally gave up for good at 1335.  Since it was clear that I wouldn't be able to work until I reached my next hotel, I drove to the Breakfast Hill Road trailhead (in Greenland) so I could walk some more of the NH Seacoast Greenway.  When I arrived (1340), the temps had risen to 84 F.  Over the next 40ish minutes, I walked the last mile (mm 10 to 9) of the "official", completed trail.  Despite the heat, there was some good birding (Indigo Bunting, Red-eyed Vireo, a large Raven being chased by Red-winged Blackbirds).  I was finished walking at 1420 after two miles on the trail.  The only part(s) I have left to walk in the distance between the NH/MA line and the ME border (Piscataqua River) is some of the unfinished or unimproved sections.  Regardless, my effort today contributed to my pursuit of the New Hampshire Rail Trails Challenge...  I got back in my car and drove (via NH-151, NH-33, I-95, US-4, back roads, NH-16, NH-108, side streets and NH-125) to the town of Rochester.  When I arrived (1455), the weather had changed again to temps in the mid 70s, sunny and very breezy.  My goal at this stop was to hike the Lilac City Greenway - fortunately, I found it, despite there being no signage at all.  After parking in the lot for a pizza restaurant just north of Lovell Road, I walked walked 0.6 miles (in each direction) of the paved section of Lilac City Greenway as it paralleled NH-125.  The appearances of several pieces of abstract art helped me determine that I was in the correct place (online maps and guides referenced these).  Eventually, I realized I'd never find any more signs or mile markers - before leaving, though, I also checked out 0.4 miles (in each direction) of the unpaved section south of Lovell Road.  The NH Rail Trails Challenge website claimed that this trail was 1.2 miles but I didn't find evidence of this.  Instead, I considered the trail "done" when I got back to my car (1540) after two miles of walking.  Back on the road, I used city streets to drive (north) through the center of Rochester.  Along the way, I passed the "Parson Main Statue", which Google AI reported "was erected in 1896 to honor Reverend Amos Main (1708–1760), who was Rochester's first resident minister. He was much more than a preacher; he also served as the settlement's first medical doctor, lawyer, town moderator, and judge. Legend holds that the local Native American tribes respected him so highly that Rochester was never attacked during his tenure."  Before long, I found myself on NH-11 and, just as I crossed the Farmington Town Line (1555), I located a parking lot for the northern terminus of the Farmington Rail Trail.  Like the trail in Rochester, this one had no signage that indicated I was in the correct place.  Actually, it was mostly a dirt track along an old railroad bed that may have been as long as six miles (depending on the source of information).  Despite all the uncertainty, I ended up walking 0.7 miles south to Happy Valley Camping and then started my backtrack.  My walk here was finished at 1625 and I carefully (due to so much traffic) got back on NH-11.  Slowly, I made my way to NH-140 and listened to audiobooks during this part of the drive.  At 1710, I arrived at the Super 8 (Tilton / Lake Winnipesaukee) and got checked into my room quickly.  I immediately resumed teleworking and stayed online until 2000.  Along the way, I skipped dinner.  After wrapping up my work day, I caught up on reading, Duolingo, puzzles and blog entries.  The rest of the evening was spent watching movies, with bed time at 2330.  Looking forward to exploring the Lakes Region!