Friday, September 18, 2026

Minneapolis Work Trip - Day 5

Unfortunately, the rain found me again...  Honestly, though, I can't complain because I've had so many wonderful weather days since starting my Nomad Life.  This morning, I was initially awake at 0415 but decided to go back to sleep - I was finally awake at 0615.  Since my work colleagues from the on-site project this week were departing and all the work was finished, I didn't need to go into "the office" for quite as long as I during the last few days.  As a result, I started teleworking in my room at the Candlewood Suites (Eagan) right after getting out of bed.  Otherwise, I only took a break to make/ate breakfast (snacks) in my room.  Feeling like I had a good lull in the worst of the rain outside, I departed the at 0900 and drove south to Farmington.  The steady rain didn't seem to affect the temperatures very much (they were 60 F) and my windshield wipers did very well.  Leaving later meant that the traffic was much lighter than I'd been seeing earlier in the week.  I used the same route (I-35E, MN-77, MN-23 and MN-50) to get to the work site and (after walking through the rain with my umbrella) I was sitting at "my desk" by 0925.  Since everyone had been using our system for more than 24 hours by that point, there were few complaints - I actually got a few comments about how good everything looked.  At one point, one of my work colleagues (Ethan, who I'd first met on an installation trip in the Northeast earlier in 2026) came by to ask me questions about the hardware spares and I was able to show him where the local team had stored them.  We also discussed hardware disposition and shipping of the tools we'd used this week.  Otherwise, though, it was pretty quiet for most of the time I was on-site.  By 1215, I was ready to depart.  Instead of heading back to the hotel, though, I drove to Apple Valley (via Pilot Knob Road) and found Freddy's Frozen Custard.  Starting at about 1225, I enjoyed a lunch of a "burger salad" and concrete.  Freddy's is always a treat!  By 1255, I was done with my meal and went next door to get some cash (the first I've needed in a while) from the local credit union.  Since the rain was still steadily falling, I decided to fall back to my old strategy (during heat waves in Virginia or frigid weather in New England) of walking the aisles of a large store.  Fortunately, I was in luck - there was a Hy-Vee grocery store across the parking lot.  By patiently (and nonchalantly) walking around inside, I managed to reach 5K steps (and two miles) of walking for the day (this distance includes some steps I got on the work site).  Along the way, I noticed that prices were pretty good for several items that I typically buy.  The whole place seemed like a good neighborhood grocery store.  I finished walking at 1345 and, only then, drove back to my hotel.  After arriving there (at 1355), I resumed telework but then decided it was a good time to try to do my daily workout in the Fitness Center.  Starting at 1410, I rode on the stationary (recumbent) bike for 20 minutes (4.1 miles).  Afterwards, I started a load of laundry while continuing my teleworking until 1625.  The timing was perfect, actually, since I'd made plans to meet up with another High School Friend at a nearby restaurant and needed to depart the hotel.  By 1630, I was on my way north (on US-35E) and arrived at the Lone Oak Grill (Eagan) about 10 minutes later.  Actually, I was much earlier than we'd agreed to meet but this gave me an opportunity to try one of the local Oktoberfest beers.  Anthony A (same graduating class as me and a classmate in almost all of our Honors Courses) arrived at 1700 and we began a nice conversation about all the many days, months and years since the last time we'd seen in each in 1987.  We ordered some wings and then I got a flat bread pizza for my main meal.  It was so much fun catching up that we eventually lost track of time - we stayed until 2000!  After saying goodbye (and promising to meet up more often than we had during the last few years), I drove back to the hotel.  On the way, I tried to call my daughters but none of them answered.  Oh well...  Like often happens during my life on the road, I spent the rest of the evening watching movies and lost track of the time again; I finally went to bed at 2315.  What a great way to cap off a wonderful visit to Minnesota - friendship reunions, good food, interesting work and a good work/life balance throughout.  North Dakota tomorrow!