Wednesday, September 30, 2026
Salt Lake City Work Trip - Day 3
Due to the mid-shift / overnight nature of my job this week, I was still working when the clock read 0001. To keep myself going, I drank a rare cup of coffee and stayed on my feet as much as possible. By 0100, the testing had officially begun and I worked very hard for the next few hours. Thankfully, all of our tests were successful and we were able to wrap up Phase 2 of our visit (and all paperwork) by 0330. However, I stayed on site until 0345 to make sure that everyone else was able to leave too. After that, I drove back (mostly on I-215) back to the Staybridge Suites (West Valley City). It was cool enough (high 40s) that I needed the defrost feature to be able to see clearly through my windshield. I'm thinking the cold weather is coming soon... After arriving at 0405, I checked on some work stuff before heading to bed (0430). Not wanting to miss the delicious breakfast buffet, I got up at 0900 and headed down to the lobby of the hotel. It felt to get some substantial food in me after the strange hours I'd been working. When I was finished with the meal, I returned to my room to read and catch up on some telework. However, I didn't attend any of the usual meetings for a Wednesday because most were canceled or I'd chosen to skip them. Starting at 1200, I took a three hour nap (successful this time!). When I was awake again, I did some more reading but ended up never leaving my room during the middle of the day, even though it was warm and sunny outside. I tried to rationalize this loss of opportunity for exercise or adventure by telling myself that I needed the sleep (probably true). At 1745, I went to the lobby of the hotel for the "Dinner / Happy Hour". This time, they had "loaded potatoes" and broccoli. Like last night, I didn't have alcohol, just soda. Afterwards, I walked a full circuit of the Springhill Suites and Holiday Inn Express complex and got my birding observation for the day. When I checked on my car, I saw that the spiderweb crack on my windshield had grown to almost a full circle near the lower middle part of my window - dang... In my room again, I worked on some responses for the eBird volunteers who had contacted me about birding observations I'd made during my recent trip to North Dakota. In the end, I made several corrections but was able to stand my ground on others. At 1925, I went to the Fitness Center and worked out on the stationary (recumbent) bike for 20 minutes (4.2 miles). Back in my again (1950), I got ready to depart for my all night job shift. Even though the meet-up time wasn't until 2130, I still departed the hotel at 2045 and drove (mostly via I-215) to the work site. After arriving (2105), I settled down at a desk where I could work until the technicians finished up their work. The the rest of the team got started with Phase 3 of our work project by 2200 and were very busy for the next few hours. Unlike the previous evening, they were ready for me to join them in the testing exercises before midnight. Optimistically, I got going through the checklists and felt the growing excitement of being able to report back (to Headquarters in DC) that we'd wrapped up our work. When the clock struck Midnight, I hadn't turned into a pumpkin and was still on track. Crossing fingers!