Thursday, May 21, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 214

I'm starting to think I've recovered from my many time zone changes...  This morning, I was awake by 0515 and did some reading, puzzles and Duolingo.  After starting my telework day at 0545 and working for a few hours, I took a break for breakfast at Kim & David's (Falls Church).  After that (0800), I went walking near the condo.  This time, I checked out the schools, churches (and a synagogue) and some pretty neighborhoods in the vicinity of Haycock Longfellow Park.  It was overcast and cooler (high 60s) and there were opportunities for lots of birding.  Fortunately, the rain held off and I was able to walk more than three miles before I was done.  I was back online for work by 0915.  A short time later, I was triple scheduled with meetings ("Welcome Back!").  At 1300, I took another break for lunch at Kim and David's and then resumed teleworking.  My work day ended for good at 1630 and I spent time blogging and catching up on finances.  During the same timeframe, I continued making plans with my daughters for the coming weeks.  A1700, I departed from Falls Church and drove (via VA-7 and I-495) to Springfield so I could meet my cousin, Tim. at Kilroy's Pub.  On the way, I encountered HORRIBLE traffic.  It was also lightly raining, with temps still in the 60s.  When I arrived at the pub (1730), I looked around for a little while before choosing a booth in the back of the establishment.  Tim arrived shortly afterwards.  It had been a while since I'd seen my cousin so it was a nice to catch up.  During our great conversations, I tried a few local beers and ate some fish tacos for dinner.  Out visit was over by 1930 - hope it isn't so long before we can get together again...  When I reached the car, I found that two of my tires were recording "low" (dang TPMS) so I went off in search of free air from a nearby service station.  Fortunately, Google Maps recommended a Sunoco station in Falls Church - I had to drive east (from I-495) on US-50 (and, later, some back roads) until I could enter the parking lot from "the back" (the main entrance was located on Leesburg Pike, VA-7).  With a steady rain falling, I managed to properly inflate all of the tires.  Feeling better about my upcoming trip to Harrisonburg, I returned to Kim and David's home (arrived at 2015).  Upon arrival, I spent time visiting with both of my friends.  I thanked them profusely (again) for hosting me and caring for my car while I was away.  They seemed genuinely happy that I'd spent time with them and been able to recharge after my vacation.  At 2100, I said goodnight to them and went to the guest room.  For the rest of the evening, I read and watched YouTube videos. Meanwhile, it was raining steadily outside...  At 2300, I was ready to fall asleep - definitely a sign I'm completely in the Eastern Time Zone.  My Nomad Life gets back on the road tomorrow!