Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 220

This morning, I woke up at 0550 (before my alarm) at Mollie and Alex's home in Fredericksburg and started teleworking immediately.  Unfortunately, I noticed that my throat was sore - hopefully, I'm not getting sick... At one point (around 0700), Mollie appeared in the kitchen and I asked her if I could go to the gym in her apartment complex had (she gave me her key fob and told me to let her know if it worked).  Meanwhile, it was raining steadily outside.  I guess my streak of being the "bringer of good weather" has ended... Mollie and Alex departed for work at 0750 and I took a short break for breakfast.  After that, my telework day got much busier, with lots of meetings, and I wasn't able to take another break (for lunch) until around 1230.  When I noticed that it had stopped raining, I took advantage of this fact and took Maple for a walk.  Along the way, I chipped away at my step goal for the day and had almost reached a mile when I finished this walk.  Even though the rain had let up, it was still overcast, wet and the temps were in the low 70s.  By 1300, I went back to teleworking.  Even though Maple normally lives in her crate during the day, I let her stay out in the living room in her little dog bed (and, when I wasn't looking, the couch).  My meetings continued for most of the afternoon.  As my colleagues started dropping offline (1600), I decided to try to squeeze in a workout at the gym - for the next 45 minutes, I rode the Stationary Bike (recumbent) and logged 9 mile.  With this exercise, I reached three miles on my pedometer.  At 1645, I got back online and wrapped up my telework day about 15 minutes later.  While waiting for Mollie and Alex to arrive, I did some Duolingo exercises and then read and worked puzzles.  A majority of my later afternoon activities included printing about one month of receipts and bills (whew!) - I used up an entire print cartridge before I finished.  At 1730, Mollie and Alex got home.  By that point, my throat had moved from feeling itchy to what appeared to be a full-on cold.  I kept thinking about how it was probably the kids at Brenna's school that passed this wonderful gift along to me...  Mollie made me a SodaStream drink that made me feel a bit better.  During this window, we chatted about the possibility of me volunteering at the Middle School Field Day the following morning.  Even though I wanted to help, it sounded like I'd either have to agree to work the whole day (and take a day off from work) or go very early (arrive at 0700) to help set up.  Neither of these ideas seemed good and there was almost no certainty that I'd even see Mollie for the entire day. I agreed to think about what I wanted to do.  Since Alex has a video game night planned, I returned to the guest room to wrap up all of my online work - by 1815, I'd moved out into the living room.  Soon after that, we all ate dinner together.  I forgot to mention that Mollie had been cooking something in her crock pot all day - it turned out to be a delicious venison stew that we ate with fresh baked French Bread.  At 1830, Alex went into the guest room and started gaming (he had a "playoffs" style tournament).  Meanwhile, Mollie and I played some more of "Tomodachi Life: Living the Dream".  Like the day before, we had fun (lots of laughs) watching the different characters evolving their lives in real time.  Even though I'd thought about going outside for some more steps, we ended up squandering the evening with the game.  Meanwhile, Alex's game night extended well into the evening.  As a result, I couldn't go to bed in the guest room when I wanted.  Worse, though, my throat was still feeling uncomfortable and sinus pain/blockage had begin.  As a result, I told Mollie I'd likely miss the Field Day volunteering the next day (she said she was OK with this).  When Mollie and I got tired of the Tomodachi game, we shifted to watching a movie called "Treasure" (with Lena Dunham), which told the story of a woman traveling with her father to learn more about their ancestral roots.  Surprising to both of us, it turned out to be rather good! Alex was finally done with his gaming at 2240.  Mollie stopped the movie at that point and I gratefully headed into the guest room to get ready for bed.  I did do a few Duolingo exercises but went to bed soon after completing those (2300).  Crossing my fingers I'm not in for a long illness - ugh...