Friday, May 22, 2026

Nomad Life - Day 215

I actually slept all the way until 0630 this morning!  That was later than I'd hoped (because I'd wanted to get an early start on work) but it felt good to get so much rest. I started teleworking immediately but also took a short break to talk with David and Kim as they each departed for their own work days (at 0730 and 1000, respectively).  Along the way, I also grabbed some breakfast from their kitchen (in Falls Church).  It was raining and miserable outside, so I didn't mind working.  As the noon hour approached, I took another break to pack up the last few bags in my car and then ate some lunch (still at Kim and David's).  At 1200, I took a long break from my telework day and departed Falls Church.  At that point, temps were in the 60s and it was still raining.  Hoping to beat everyone out of town before the long weekend, I drove from NoVA (via I-66 and I-81) to Harrisonburg.  On the way, I had a nice conversation (by phone) Kerith.  Despite some annoying traffic, construction and the general dreariness of the day, I managed to arrive at Brenna's by 1415.  In Harrisonburg, it was still 60ish and raining.  As soon as I was in Brenna's apartment, I resumed teleworking and stayed online until Brenna arrived home from work (1700).  Fortunately, I'd logged enough time online to call it a work week and was able visit with her immediately.  Since Brenna had just done some shopping, there was plenty of food in the apartment and we ended up eating dinner (pre-cooked rotisserie chicken) about 20 minutes after my daughter got home.  We also had some great conversation during the next few hours after our busy Springs.  At 1930. we started watching a movie, "Project Hail Mary", and Brenna ended up really liking it.  Afterwards (2145), I went walking in the neighborhood since I really hadn't gotten any steps all day.  I was lucky that it had stopped raining but the ground and air were very damp.  Even more amazing, though, was that temps were in the 50s.  Somehow, I managed to walk about two miles (still not making my step goal each day...) before I was finished (2245).  Brenna had already retired to her room by then but I was able to say goodnight to her as I entered the apartment.  Before heading to bed (on the couch), I read and did some Duolingo exercises before heading to bed (2330).  Very excited to have time to spend with Brenna!